The Kerala High Court directed the registry to take appropriate action against former sub-judge for making unwarranted comments against the court on social media.
The court condemned the posts but refused to initiate contempt of court proceedings. (Photo: File)
The Kerala High Court on Thursday directed the registry to take appropriate action against former sub-judge S Sudeep for making unwarranted comments and allegations against the court on social media.
The court condemned the social media posts and refused to initiate contempt of court proceedings, stating it doesn’t want to give the matter ‘undue publicity’.
Earlier, Sandeep alleged that the court had urged the state police chief to investigate him in connection with fake antique dealer Monson Mavunkal’s case. The ex-judge had allegedly criticised the high court order in this case. However, the court clarified that it had never given such an order.
Justice Devan Ramachandran had said that social media posts can be suspected as malicious intent to derail the probe in the case.
Sandeep alleged that such an instruction was given when there was no complaint against him in this regard. The judicial officer reportedly wrote another post condemning the high court order. This prompted the court to direct the registry to take appropriate action.
Sudeep had resigned from judicial service earlier this year while he was facing high court disciplinary proceedings over his social media activities. The social media post was brought to the attention of the court by a member of the Bar Council, Advocate Mohammed Shah. He said there should be restrictions on social media.
“Even media has factors that govern them and ensure their smooth functioning. Social media should also have something binding. It shouldn’t be a place where anyone can write anything about judiciary,” Shah said.
After the order was issued by the high court, Sudeep again took to social media and claimed he was being called insane for criticising court decisions.
READ | Maharashtra govt supports death penalty to Kolhapur sisters who kidnapped, killed children
Click here for IndiaToday.in’s complete coverage of the coronavirus pandemic.