Madras HC stays job racketeering case against Minister Senthil Balaji


The counsel produced affidavits of 20 alleged victims of job racketing who had claimed that they had got back their money and not interested in prosecuting the case anymore.

The Madras High Court has stayed all further proceedings pending against Electricity Minister V. Senthil Balaji in a case booked for having allegedly cheated many by promising them jobs as drivers and conductors in State transport corporation when he served as Transport Minister in Jayalalithaa’s cabinet between 2011 and 2015.

Justice M. Nirmal Kumar granted the interim stay following a criminal revision petition preferred by the Minister. Representing the petitioner, senior counsel S. Prabakaran said a compromise had been reached between the parties and the issue had been settled amicably. Therefore, he urged the court to compound the offences.

The senior counsel also brought it to the notice of the court that as many as four different cases had been registered by the police with similar allegations and that two of them had already been quashed. He said, the High Court had quashed one case on the basis of the compromise reached between the complainants and the accused.

“This case is also of similar nature,” the counsel said and produced affidavits of 20 alleged victims of job racketing who had claimed that they had got back their money and not interested in prosecuting the case anymore. He said those individuals were ready to appear before the court and depose that they do not want the prosecution to continue.

However, some of the victims in the fourth case wanted to get implead in present revision petition filed by the Minister, as well as another accused in the case, and oppose their plea to compound the offences.

Observing that it would be appropriate to stay the proceedings pending before the special court for trying cases against legislators until a final decision could be taken on compounding the offence, the judge granted the interim order and adjourned the Minister’s revision petition for further hearing to October 22.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Legal Updates/News

Daughters to inherit self-acquired properties of fathers dying without a will: Supreme Court | Latest News India

The Supreme Court on Thursday said the daughters of a male Hindu dying without a will would be entitled to inherit self-acquired and other properties obtained in the partition by the father. The court also said that such daughters would get preference over other collateral members of the family such as sons and daughters of […]

Read More
Legal Updates/News

Sameer Wankhede’s father files contempt plea against Nawab Malik in Bombay High Court

Dhyandev Wankhede, father of former Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) zonal director Sameer Wankhede, on Wednesday moved a contempt plea in the Bombay High Court, claiming that despite an undertaking given to the court last month, NCP Minister Nawab Malik continues to defame his family and has made contentious remarks on December 28, 2021, January 2 […]

Read More
Legal Updates/News

Explained: The debate over marital rape

The Delhi High Court is hearing a challenge to the constitutional validity of the ‘marital rape immunity’ provided for in the Indian Penal Code. The case has put the spotlight on crucial issues concerning consent, the extent of state control on female sexual autonomy, and correcting historical prejudices in law. What is the case about? […]

Read More