Dhyandev Wankhede, father of former Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) zonal director Sameer Wankhede, on Wednesday moved a contempt plea in the Bombay High Court, claiming that despite an undertaking given to the court last month, NCP Minister Nawab Malik continues to defame his family and has made contentious remarks on December 28, 2021, January 2 and January 3.
On December 10, last year, Malik had tendered an unconditional apology before the HC for “wilfully breaching” his undertaking given to the court that stated that he won’t make any statement against Dhyandev and his family.
He, however, had said that his undertaking would not prevent him from commenting on the “political misuse of central agencies” and the conduct of their officers in the course of performance of their official duties.
The court had accepted Malik’s apology.
Dhyandev, in his contempt plea filed on Wednesday, said that Malik has breached the December 10 HC order that accepted his apology.
He cited certain remarks made by Malik as recently as on December 28, last year, January 2 and January 3.
“These statements are specifically directed against the petitioner’s son impugning his caste/religion and his personal integrity. Even assuming that these statements can in any manner be construed as comments on political misuse of central agencies and conduct of their officers in course of their duties, such conduct should be related to the duties hereafter performed, that is, after December 10. Aforesaid statements pertain to actions/omissions of petitioner’s son much prior to December 10, 2021,” Dhyandev said.
Claiming that Malik has willfully breached his undertaking before HC, Dhyandev said he should be held in contempt under Contempt of Courts Act, 1971.